Hungary has been a full member of the Schengen area since 21 December 2007.
The territorial validity of Visas and Residence Permits issued by the Schengen Member States are extends to Hungary; and uniform Schengen visas and residence permits issued by the competent Hungarian authorities are also valid throughout the Schengen area.
The rules of long-term stay over 90 days are determined by each Member State's own national legislation.
The regulation of stay for more than 90 days is national competence, therefore a uniform and common practice in this matter does not exist among the Schengen Member States.
An applicant, wishing to enter to the territory of Hungary for a long-term stay may submit an application for a residence permit at the competent Hungarian mission. In case of a positive decision, the applicant will receive a long-stay (so called D type) visa which allows the visaholder to enter to the territory of Hungary in order to obtain his/her residence permit.
Pursuant to Regulation (EU) No 265/2010, a third-country national holding a long-stay (D type) issued by a Schengen Member State may travel to other Member States under the same conditions as the holder of a residence permit in case the duration of stay can not exceed 90 days within 180 days.
From 20 May 2011, long-stay (D type) visa applicants has to provide their biometrical data – incuding fingerprints - at the time of submitting the application. Children under the age of 6 and those who are physically unable to give fingerprints are exempted from the fingerprinting obligation.
The applicant must submit the application in person.
1. Applications for a residence permit
The application forms can be downloaded from the following link: http://www.bmbah.hu/index.php?lang=en
2. Mandatory enclosures
- completed and signed residence permit application
- a valid travel document
- 1 photograph (not older than 6 months, • color, • ID card size (35-40 mm wide), • sharp, high quality, • full-face, • in front of a bright coloured background, • without headwear, except for religious reasons, • photographed from the front)
- return or permits required for further travel
- proof of purpose of entry and stay
- accommodation, proof of residence
- documents proving subsistence and travel coverage
- insurance or equivalent financial coverage for the full range of health care benefits
3. The grounds for applying a residence permit may be:
- Job searching or entrepreneurship
- Family reunification
- EU blue card
- Medical treatment
- Gainful activity
- Research or researcher mobility (long-term)
- Voluntary service activities
- Seasonal work
- Studies or student mobility
- Intra-corporate transfer
4. A short film on the acquisition of biometric identifiers for issuing visas
5. Decision, decision making, appeal
On the basis of the documents submitted by the appicant and sent by the consular section the competent regional directorate of the National Directorate-General for Aliens Policing decides on the application for a residence permit and the issuance of a D type visa within 30 days.
The decision has to be made within 8 days in case :
- if the applicant for a residence permit is a minor, or his/her legal representative accompanying the minor applicant for the purpose medical treatment;
- if the applicant for a residence permit is the responsible person for an unaccompanied minor;
- if Hungary has a significant economic, cultural, scientific or sport interest in the applicant's entry and residence in Hungary.
The third-country national's application for a residence permit will be processed within 15 days if his / her purpose of stay is study or research.
An appeal against the rejection of the application may be lodged directly at the decision-making regional directorate or at the consular officer within eight days from notification of the decision.
The appeal will be decided by the OIF within thirty days.
Foreign national D visa holders entitling them to a residence permit are treated in the same way as Hungarian citizens:
- a separate police permit/exemption are not required for their entry to the territory of Hungary;
- the quarantine and testing measures - depending on the classification of the country of origin - are the same as of Hungarian citizens.
RESIDENCE IN HUNGARY
SINGLE APPLICATION PROCEDURE
NATIONAL RESIDENCE PERMIT
PURPOSE OF JOB-SEARCHING OR ENTREPRENEURSHIP
RESIDENCE PERMIT FOR THE PURPOSE OF EMPLOYMENT
APPLICATION FOR EXTENSION